[haiku-development] Re: The ways of Reboot. Acknowledge or not?

  • From: Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 25 Apr 2009 10:24:01 +0200

Hi,

On 2009-04-25 at 10:14:17 [+0200], Siarzhuk Zharski <zharik@xxxxxx> wrote:

> End of Session... -> Restart
>                   -> Shutdown
>
> or with this one: (thanks to humdinger for thinking about the feature)
>
> End of Session... -> Restart
>                   -> Shutdown
>                   -> Suspend
>                   -> Log out
>                   -> Switch user
>
> Pro:
> 1) it is lightweight and is not over-complicate.
> 2) it is a BeOS/Haiku way of things. Remember, most of operations in
> Tracker are performed from context menu. Rebooting from the sub-menu is
> absolutely natural for typical Tracker user.
> 3) in proposed solution accidental reboot of the system can occur when
> user "accidentally" go to "End of Session..." sub-menu and
> "accidentially" click some menu entry there. I can't imagine this as
> unintentional action.
> 4) it save a miles of mouse movements and thousands mouse clicks!
> Actually you need to select the "Reboot" menu entry, move mouse pointer
> at least 6 inches to the center of the display, point mouse at OK button
> and finally click it. The solution, proposed by me require about 2 inches
> of mouse movements and single click! It saves more than 4 inches and one
> click pro every reboot. :-D
> 5) it doesn't irritate the user with obvious confirmation alerts.
>
> Contra:
> 1) it is still possible to "accidentally" reboot the system from the
> main menu by selecting "wrong" menu entry. Yes, windows refugee can be
> surprised with such easy way of reboot. Well - we can add the option "Ask
> the user before shutdown the system" into Tracker options to make both
> beginners and veterans happy. :-)
> 2) ??
> 3) ??

IMHO, the proposed solution would work fine. Probably much better than the
extra dialog as proposed in the ticket.

However, let me add that I think the entire Leaf/Feather (I won't take
sides) menu should be flipped upside down! "About Haiku" the first entry?!
Shouldn't that be Applications? It's tricky to rework this menu though,
since it's constructed partly asynchronous. I remember I tried once, but
wasn't persistent enough to succeed... :-) Just something to add to the
discussion.

Best regards,
-Stephan