[haiku-development] Re: Terminal Encoding

Howdy,

I'm currently rewriting parts of the Terminal and started wondering what the exact purpose of the "Font Encoding" is. The current implementation uses the set encoding for the internal representation of characters. It converts them from/to UTF-8 when communicating with the PTY. The only point when the encoding is actually used is when the characters are drawn. So the following questions arise:

IIRC, original BeOS terminal converted also input. I had evidence for that when helped my german friends to get rid of file with "bad" name containing umlauts with "wrong" encoding set.

But I'm wondering if Haiku-s default shell (bash) has proper UTF-8 support now. In BeOS I used bash with utf-8 patches from some coders from Poland, IIRC.

Fyysik