[haiku-development] Re: Tablets and messages

Am 11.12.2010 10:54, schrieb Enrique Medina Gremaldos:
What a shame! I didn't realize of:

event->AddFloat("x",x)
event->AddFloat("y",y)

I think I was reading very old BeOS docs, because I only was aware of
"where" and "be:tablet_x" properties.

No actually the docs are still correct. What you have missed, and I don't know if that is mentioned in the BeBook, but a faint memory says it is, is that the driver does not generate the final message, and the fields it needs to generate are slightly different. The driver puts the above fields into the message, and the input_server filters the message and converts the absolutes coordinates to regular coordinates, preserving the original fields as "be:tablet_*".

> BTW, the driver I'm working on, is
for non wacom devices. In my case I have a pair of cheap Trust tablets
(which I already have moving arround haiku! :-D ) as they are very
cheap, they seem to not follow standards and publish themselves as
generic HID devices, so I actually have to patch usbhid driver to
discard those vendorID. Is this the way to go?

Actually the Wacom tablets are HID devices as well. The Haiku source code also contains another tablet driver which is supposed to work with any HID tablet, but I don't know what state that is in, it is currently not part of default Haiku images, IIRC. Ideally, we would not have separate drivers for tablets, or even different vendors of tablets, but would explore and configure tablets purely via the HID protocol in the HID driver and input_server add-on. For the time being, it is ok to block the HID driver from picking up specific vendors, but this is not a long term solution, especially since 3rd party drivers cannot do the same without replacing the HID driver.

Best regards,
-Stephan