[haiku-development] Switching back form yasm to nasm

  • From: Jonathan Schleifer <js-haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2014 21:05:30 +0100

Hi!

I know that nasm was replaced with yasm some time ago because yasm supported
newer instructions, but these days, the situation reversed: Now nasm supports
newer instructions.

Therefore, I'd like to switch back from yasm to nasm as it provides newer
instructions and also offers a disassembler, ndisasm.

Any objections that I do the switch? The only reason I see for yasm is libyasm.
But I don't think anything in the base system is using that.

Another alternative route would be to migrate to the Intel Syntax of GAS, which
became quite usable in recent years. We have GAS anyway, as it's part of
binutils, and they usually support all new opcodes as well. So the question is:
Replace yasm by nasm or just get rid of yasm?

--
Jonathan