[haiku-development] Re: Switch to Clang or GCC 4.9?

  • From: Axel Dörfler <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2014 12:28:22 +0200 (CEST)

> On April 23, 2014 at 9:39 PM Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx> wrote:
> I doubt that anyone disagrees with having clang at least as an option.
> So I don't see how working on full support would be wasted time.
> Consequently no decision is necessary at this point.

+1.
I think we definitely want to support Clang. But it's premature to predict
whether or not that means we will drop GCC support at some point.
If GCC will always produce better code than Clang, there is no point in
switching -- you just cannot know in advance how the two projects will evolve.
However, IMO it's important to keep both compilers working, and also having them
as an option under Haiku itself.

Bye,
   Axel.