[haiku-development] Re: Switch to Clang or GCC 4.9?

  • From: Jonathan Schleifer <js-haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2014 22:05:18 +0200

Am 23.04.2014 um 21:29 schrieb Stephan Aßmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>:

> A vote is still not the right tool. A vote is usually needed only when a
> discussion has shown that good arguments exists for multiple options, or that
> the pro and con arguments ballance for multiple options and a consensus can
> not be reached via discussion. A vote is like the last resort.
>
> I think instead of gauging opinions via a "vote", which runs some risk to
> include a lot of uninformed or outdated opinion, you could lay out the pros
> of using clang.
>
> For example, my little "knowledge" is that clang can be used as a service
> (like a library), so it integrates much better into an IDE. It also seems to
> provide much better errors and warnings, especially for template code, based
> on some examples I saw in a talk. And it appears to have a better overall
> architecture. I also heard that it can produce slower code than GCC. But this
> is all from a while ago and may, at least partially, be no longer true.
>
> So while you seem to be pretty deep into the subject, you could give us your
> thoughts on clang versus GCC, and that may even be enough already to confirm
> a general plan to switch to clang once it's ready.

Fair enough, I thought everybody is familiar with Clang and GCC at least a
little, considering how much Clang catched up and even surpassed GCC in many
areas. I thought it's just a matter of personal preferences, and thus a vote
more appropriate than a discussion. Discussing over personal preferences will
be an endless discussion, see e.g. vim vs emacs ;).

I will write a pro/con list in the coming days. Please remind me if I forget ;).

--
Jonathan