[haiku-development] Switch to Clang or GCC 4.9?

  • From: Jonathan Schleifer <js-haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2014 18:18:39 +0200

Hi!

I'd like to vote on how we progress on the compiler front.

Currently, PPC does not build with GCC 4.8, so we might either switch to Clang
or try if the recently released GCC 4.9 fixes those problems.

Clang is already working fine on x86. Building the bootloader, kernel and
userland works and produces a running system. There are some minor issues, but
nothing that prevents you from using it.

GCC 4.9 OTOH we didn't even try yet.

So I'm wondering if I should work on upgrading our GCC or on switching to
Clang. Therefore I'd like to start a vote.

IMPORTANT: Please not that this is not about what we should use right now
because it works better right now, but what we prefer to use in the future.
E.g. if we vote Clang, that does not mean we instantly switch to Clang, but as
soon as it works well enough and that we don't waste time on GCC 4.9

So, please vote either 1 or 2:

1.) Aim to switch to Clang long-term and drop GCC eventually
2.) Keep and upgrade GCC and keep Clang as an unsupported option

--
Jonathan