[haiku-development] Re: Survey results about Haiku

  • From: "SMC.Collins" <smc.collins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2011 19:21:56 +0000 (UTC)

{Hello Sean,

Sadly, I had no question about users who are thinking about to switch to Haiku.
However, as you can see among those users of the Haiku community many really
like the operating system Haiku (see results regarding the question 1: the
median value is "very much interested in Haiku", the mean is 4.3 of 5 score).
Also see the results regarding the question 3: for 33.7 percentage of the users
Haiku or BeOS is the favourit operating system.
Nevertheless, the results of the question 6 show that about 93 percentage of
the users never or very rarely use Haiku.
Why do so many people love Haiku, but only very few use it?
From my point of view there are two major answers:
1. There is a lack of applications (software) for Haiku.
and/or
2. Haiku is still an alpha release and not ready to be used often (hardware
compatibility issues etc.).

Best wishes,
Miroslav Stimac}

Thank you again for your response, I dug a bit deeper into the survey results
and I would like to share a potential conclusion, hinted at in you notes as
well. It would appear that a large useage case for Haiku would be to follow in
the footsteps of BeOS in regards to media editing and office useage. It looks
like one of the predominate hold backs is the lack of a current and
sophisticated Office package "similar to gobe 3.0" and a lack of multimedia
software like 3dmix, Titan Media Editor etc.

As for regarding Haiku as alpha, it certainly is alpha, the quality of which
far surpass's any alpha system I have ever had been afforded the opportunity to
use.I suspect the issue regarding useage statistics maye be driven more by lack
of software over alpha status.

Thank you again for your time and I am curious to hear your thoughts on which
applications would stimulate users and developers to join and use Haiku and
help enhance the Haiku ecosystem.

Sean