[haiku-development] Re: Supporting Haiku on the EEE PC

  • From: "François Revol" <revol@xxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 06 Sep 2008 15:10:55 +0200 CEST

> On 2008-09-06 at 13:31:54 [+0200], Salvatore Benedetto <
> emitrax@xxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
> > 2008/9/6 Michael Lotz <mmlr@xxxxxxxx>:
> > >
> > > As said by others, the webacm is UVC. But please note that it is
> > > probalby a device using isochronous USB transfers which are not
> > > really
> > > tested for UHCI and not implemented for EHCI. So really I would
> > > like to
> > > suggest going with ACPI or wireless first. I will eventually get
> > > isochronous support going for EHCI, but it's a bit involved to
> > > support
> > > it correctly as isochronous transfers are far less straight
> > > forward to
> > > implement.
> >
> > Actually IMHO I think this could be a good reason to go ahead with
> > UVC
> > support. Isochronous support hasn't been really tested due to lack
> > of
> > drivers for devices that actually use this transfer mode.
>
> +1. :-) I long for a proper UVC driver, but I suppose it is quite a
> lot of
> work. But even USB TV-sticks would work and all sorts of camera
> devices,
> even some handycams.

I didn't dig UVC much yet but probably if UVC is used for more things
than webcams I should fork usb_webcam to make an uvc-specific driver
and leave the other one for old-style webcams.
Depending how UVC works with respect to existing non-protocols (more
like over-usb register read/writes and that's it), it might be cleaner
to split.

François.