[haiku-development] Re: Support for Firefox in default SetupEnvironment?

  • From: Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 07 Mar 2008 17:31:52 +0100

Fredrik Holmqvist wrote:
> 2008/3/7, Fredrik Holmqvist <fredrik.holmqvist@xxxxxxxxx>:
> >  Personally I think we shouldn't do this. It may give Haiku a benefit,
> >  but not BeOS or Zeta. So we still have to do work at BeZilla side. The
> >  proper way to do this is to change the packaging for Firefox. We have
> >  a way that so far seems to work, and there are other platforms that do
> >  this.

What "way" are you referring to? The current Firefox package needs the
SetupEnvironment change (in UserSetupEnvironment) to work in fully native
mode. For one thing, I don't understand why Haiku providing it already
would be negative for the same package on BeOS and ZETA.

> >  Only problem is that there is way to much to do and no people. Also
> >  this kind of change should probably happen on trunk, and that means we
> >  need working Cairo and working trunk builds first. We are fighting a
> >  loosing battle unfortunatly. :(

But re-ordering the package contents doesn't seem like such a huge task to
me.

> Also dynamically loaded libs are loaded with absolute path, so only those
> linked by firefox-bin directly is needed to launch. OTOH, SSL has a few
> library checks to make sure it is not compromised, so special care is
> needed there.

So which ones can be moved and which ones can not? You know this better
than me.

I don't understand what the problem is with writing a script which you can
use on your setup which does any necessary post-build adjustments to make a
fully native Firefox package. I know it would be nice to have it in trunk,
but I don't understand why it is /blocking/ you. Obviously, the problem can
not be hardcoded paths, since I can put the firefox folder anywhere I like,
as long as I do so before first starting Firefox.

Best regards,
-Stephan