[haiku-development] Re: State of ppc

On 2010-01-01 at 16:05:39 [+0100], Andreas Färber <andreas.faerber@xxxxxx>
wrote:
> Thanks for the explanations!
>
> Am 01.01.2010 um 13:56 schrieb Ingo Weinhold:
>
> [snip]
> > BTW, the linker scripts, also for x86, need some updating.
> > Apparently some sections have
> > a different name now and some new ones might have been added. As
> > long as the kernel can
> > still be loaded, I wouldn't expect anything to be broken, though.
>
> I've already tried seeing through the GCC documentation in the first
> place but didn't find an overview of what sections may be generated
> and what they do.

I can't help with that either. Back when I played with the linker scripts I
simply had a look what sections were generated and grouped them as it
seemed reasonable. The section names usually give a good hint what they are
about. A look into the linker scripts used for Linux doesn't hurt either.

> As for updating the linker script, I've just posted a patch removing
> the duplicate line I mentioned:
> http://dev.haiku-os.org/ticket/5184
>
> I also noticed a "linkhack.c" in the kernel Jamfile with a big TODO of
> updating or fixing the ppc binutils. It still appears to apply: with -
> shared added it doesn't link.
> GNU binutils 2.20 are out - maybe some maintainer could try to update
> the buildtools?

I'm still hoping Joseph Prostko will resurface. :-)

CU, Ingo