[haiku-development] Re: Stack & Tile Review

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2009 08:48:31 +0100

Hi Hong,

Hong Yul Yang <hongyul.yang@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Yes Christof and I agreed that some good refactoring & cleanup of
> stack 'n
> tile is due in order to match the quality of the rest of app server
> code. I
> guess the main concern is that a lot of the stacking/tiling logic is
> spliced
> into Window's and Desktop's mouse and keyboard event handlers. The
> first
> idea that comes to mind is to have a separate component that hooks
> onto
> those events and manages the stacking and tiling information for all
> windows
> (as opposed to the windows themselves housing this information). I
> guess
> removing much of the stacking/tiling logic from those two classes
> means less
> merging headaches as well :)

Yes, that sounds like a good thing to do.
My main concern, however, are the missing allocation checks. That's why
I didn't want it in trunk already, as it compromises the app_server
stability under low memory conditions.

> Since I'm pretty much a newbie when it comes to the best practices
> for
> Haiku/BeOS, any advice from you gurus would be much appreiciated
> (which
> makes me realise I should have consulted you guys more actively :).

Well, we could have had a closer look at your patch earlier as well,
and give some hints, too. Looks like we all just liked the feature :-)

Bye,
   Axel.