[haiku-development] Re: Sound of Silence...

  • From: "Michael Lotz" <mmlr@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 28 May 2009 00:58:52 +0200

On Wed, 27 May 2009 15:33:55 -0700, pete.goodeve wrote
> When Scott gave me this machine (ThinkPad 570E) it was playing audio
> (I gather it had just learned to do so).  I'm now running on a newer
> release, and there's no sign of any sound.

Just to set that straight, there aren't any releases. Those are revision
numbers.

> So what's the status on all this?  I saw something about a conflict
> between OSS and "HDA".  So what the heck is HDA anyway?  I haven't
> been able to track down any references.

The hda driver is the driver for standard High Definition Audio devices. It's
like the successor of AC97. The problem is that both the native HDA driver and
OSS claim the same devices and both are programming it. This triggers an
interrupt storm and freezes or mostly freezes the system. In your case this
isn't a problem however as you seem to have different hardware.

OSS can be installed as an optional package using the
"AddOptionalHaikuImagePackages" rule in your UserBuildConfig. See the
UserBuildConfig.Readme/Sample in "build/jam". The optional package name that
you'd want to add is "OpenSound".

Regards
Michael