[haiku-development] Re: Some useful haiku projects

  • From: Alexey Burshtein <aburst02@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 2 Nov 2009 19:36:25 +0200

> Date: Mon, 2 Nov 2009 22:03:23 +0530
> Subject: [haiku-development] Some useful haiku projects
> From: anoop.kn@xxxxxxxxx
> To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi.
Most of these projects were already finished.
> Project 1:
> I was recently using my Freebsd OS and found something very
> interesting, Adobe doesn't make plugins for BSD license (strange)
> machines at all. I am guessing haiku is going to run into the same
> problem sooner or later. A workaround to the problem although may be
> existent GNASH (GPL) and Swfdec (GPL),  both of them don't play movies
> that very well (atleast on freebsd with the current latest packages).
> These plugins (thanks to the brilliant effort of the authors who
> reverse engineer) work decent enough.
There are efforts to port GNASH to Haiku. This is "work in progress". Besides,
non-interactive Flash movies can be played with VLC, which can be plugged into
BeZilla. It works good for YouTube videos.
> Project 2:
> Torrent client for Haiku. Using Librtorrent. (Very Important)
Well, I personally strongly against any P2P software. But we have BeShare, and
there are DC++ clients written on Perl that will work under Haiku, not to
mention a native DC++ client currently in development. Besides, AFAIK the
Mozilla suite (BeZilla) also offers support for torrents. And there is
BitTorrent application on BeBits for 6 years.
> Project 3:
> Offloading HaikuSDK + HaikuDesktop to run on other platforms (X
> Server, Windows)? This will increase developer base/User base of
> Haiku, and hopefully we would increase the amount of user programs.
> Apart from gnome and kde, people may actually feel more comfortable
> with Haiku appearance and feel.
I doubt it will benefit Haiku. Anyway, this is already created partially. There
is a way to compile a BeOS application on Windows, especially if it doesn't use
BeOS libraries. There is also a way to create Visual Studio 6 resource files
from BeOS projects. BTW, some BeOS libraries were ported to Windows too; see,
for example, the GoBe Productive 3 files - some of the libraries there have
very interesting names...
> Project 5:
> An updated Music player, with newer playlist management.> Project 6:> VLC
> porting to Haiku. (I am not sure but, I think there is a Beos
> version, so it should b e that big a deal)
There is a VLC port to Haiku. It also supports playlists. Besides, there're
CL-Amp and SoundPlay, both are excellent players.
> Project 8:
> Porting X server to Haiku, to run remote unix gui applications.
There is one already. There is even rootless implementation, when a native X
application runs in a Haiku window, without need to create a separate window
for the X Server itself and run only inside of it.Thanks,Alexey.