[haiku-development] Re: Some useful haiku projects

2009/11/3 Alex Suraci <i.am@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> As it is, the current MediaPlayer seems ideal for opening up the odd
> media file (which is fine; I wouldn't want an MP3 someone sends me to
> open up with what I use to manage my entire library and interrupt what
> is currently playing), not for managing and maintaining a persistent
> library. In that sense, I would expect the following of a media
> library application:
>
> 1. A more modern and native-looking user interface; along the lines of
> Sonata in terms of UI elements.
> (http://sonata.berlios.de/screenshots.html)
> 2. Shuffle/repeat controls, enqueuing, maintaining multiple playlists.
> 3. Some form of a music library, possibly with folder that it monitors
> for new content.
>
> MediaPlayer doesn't seem to work at all for maintaining one big
> playlist to emulate a library; every attempt I have made at dragging
> my entire Music folder into the playlist has led it to lock up (or
> maybe it's just taking too long).
>
> In Linux, I use MPD which maintains my entire library with a source
> directory where it can update the contents of the library from
> (usually with "mpc update", but ideally this would be automatic). With
> that, I have a primary playlist which I fill with my entire library
> and usually leave on shuffle. I use multiple clients to control mpd;
> currently ncmpcpp (a terminal UI), and I have mpc mapped for some
> global multimedia hotkeys (e.g. Right Ctrl + Home "mpc pause"). Sonata
> is also an MPD client. This setup works very well, and I think a sort
> of multimedia kit that acts like MPD could work very well on Haiku.

This sounds to me like you really want a media library application
which I see as a different thing to a media player.

You should already be able to use BFS attributes to index/manage your
media collection.  Perhaps MediaPlayer could playback from a BFS
query.

Anyway, MediaPlayer does what it says it does, plays media.  It is
likely to be extended so it can play from any source (file, dvd,
network) but I think it should be limited to play a single file or a
selection of files NOT manage a media library.

Considering your above usage is mainly musical you could perhaps write
an app that uses the media kit to do what you want.

> On Mon, Nov 2, 2009 at 8:57 PM, David McPaul <dlmcpaul@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>>
>>> As am I. Just with a different method - replacing it. Coming to Haiku
>>> from any other OS, the default media player is extremely dated and
>>> primitive. A default media player should be much better than that in

--
Cheers
David