[haiku-development] Re: Some useful haiku projects

  • From: Christopher Walker <sven.hakonsson@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 2 Nov 2009 20:36:07 -0700

On Mon, Nov 2, 2009 at 1:55 PM, Anoop Kumar Narayanan <anoop.kn@xxxxxxxxx>wrote:

> 1. It would be beneficial, as there would be a following of people
> using Haiku Desktop on Linux/BSD (Simple and Fast). And, it would also
> get developer to perceive this framework as an alternative to write
> portable code (Like QT). There by making Haiku SDK, a possible
> contender to GTK and QT (These by the way are leaders in it as of
> now.)
>
> 2. Haiku SDK as far as I know uses a lot of Open software that would
> be anyway downloaded with other OSes, So, in comparison to the GTK
> that would require GTK, glib, cairo, pango, atk .... and loads of
> other software. All the developer needs to know is all of Haiku SDK
> comes in one reasonably sized package (apart from dependencies would
> anyway be need for Linux/BSD). This way rather than us trying to
> implement Haiku interface to GTK/QT projects, it would be taken up as
> a default. And Since Linux/BSD depends extensively on packages and
> packages, Haiku SDK will be one of them.
>
> 3. Haiku is designed to be unique and not to be bloated. If we would
> need GTK/QT installed for using an existing app or a newer app. Then
> the purpose of Haiku SDK is lost. Isn't it ?

I don't think this would be very beneficial. Even if you did make the Haiku
SDK as cross-platform as GTK and QT (which would be unlikely, as Qt alone
can run on X, Windows, Mac, Maemo and Windows CE/Mobile), I fail to see why
many people would use it. Haiku users? Maybe. But at the moment I don't
believe there are many Haiku/BeOS apps that need to be ported to other any
other OS. Non-Haiku users? This is unlikely, as not only will the SDK
probably be less portable than Qt or GTK, but these two systems are firmly
established, and few projects currently based on these are likely to see any
need to suddenly switch to the Haiku SDK when all their needs are already
met by Qt or GTK. Besides, if people want something that is not "bloated,"
they already have systems like FLTK. Furthermore, the Haiku SDK is not
designed for portability, as Qt is. Instead, it is designed to be the lowest
level of GUI. Porting it would be like porting the Windows API.