[haiku-development] Re: Some useful haiku projects

  • From: Anoop Kumar Narayanan <anoop.kn@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 3 Nov 2009 02:25:53 +0530

2009/11/2 Alexey Burshtein <aburst02@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>> Date: Mon, 2 Nov 2009 22:03:23 +0530
>> Subject: [haiku-development] Some useful haiku projects
>> From: anoop.kn@xxxxxxxxx
>> To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Hi.
> Most of these projects were already finished.
>> Project 1:
>> I was recently using my Freebsd OS and found something very
>> interesting, Adobe doesn't make plugins for BSD license (strange)
>> machines at all. I am guessing haiku is going to run into the same
>> problem sooner or later. A workaround to the problem although may be
>> existent GNASH (GPL) and Swfdec (GPL), both of them don't play movies
>> that very well (atleast on freebsd with the current latest packages).
>> These plugins (thanks to the brilliant effort of the authors who
>> reverse engineer) work decent enough.
> There are efforts to port GNASH to Haiku. This is "work in progress".
> Besides, non-inter active Flash movies can be played with VLC, which can be
> plugged into BeZilla. It works good for YouTube videos.
>> Project 2:
>> Torrent client for Haiku. Using Librtorrent. (Very Important)
> Well, I personally strongly against any P2P software. But we have BeShare,
> and there are DC++ clients written on Perl that will work under Haiku, not
> to mention a native DC++ client currently in development. Besides, AFAIK the
> Mozilla suite (BeZilla) also offers support for torrents. And there is
> BitTorrent application on BeBits for 6 years.

Are the source code available for these projects ? So, that it can be
compiled specifically compiled on Haiku. And, may be it could be
incorporated in to the the default ISO.

>> Project 3:
>> Offloading HaikuSDK + HaikuDesktop to run on other platforms (X
>> Server, Windows)? This will increase developer base/User base of
>> Haiku, and hopefully we would increase the amount of user programs.
>> Apart from gnome and kde, people may actually feel more comfortable
>> with Haiku appearance and feel.
> I do ubt it will benefit Haiku. Anyway, this is already created partially.
> There is a way to compile a BeOS application on Windows, especially if it
> doesn't use BeOS libraries. There is also a way to create Visual Studio 6
> resource files from BeOS projects. BTW, some BeOS libraries were ported to
> Windows too; see, for example, the GoBe Productive 3 files - some of the
> libraries there have very interesting names...

1. It would be beneficial, as there would be a following of people
using Haiku Desktop on Linux/BSD (Simple and Fast). And, it would also
get developer to perceive this framework as an alternative to write
portable code (Like QT). There by making Haiku SDK, a possible
contender to GTK and QT (These by the way are leaders in it as of
now.)

2. Haiku SDK as far as I know uses a lot of Open software that would
be anyway downloaded with other OSes, So, in comparison to the GTK
that would require GTK, glib, cairo, pango, atk .... and loads of
other software. All the developer needs to know is all of Haiku SDK
comes in one reasonably sized package (apart from dependencies would
anyway be need for Linux/BSD). This way rather than us trying to
implement Haiku interface to GTK/QT projects, it would be taken up as
a default. And Since Linux/BSD depends extensively on packages and
packages, Haiku SDK will be one of them.

3. Haiku is designed to be unique and not to be bloated. If we would
need GTK/QT installed for using an existing app or a newer app. Then
the purpose of Haiku SDK is lost. Isn't it ?