[haiku-development] Re: Some useful haiku projects

On Tue, Nov 3, 2009 at 1:14 AM, Ryan Leavengood <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 2, 2009 at 11:33 AM, Anoop Kumar Narayanan
> <anoop.kn@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> Project 1:
>> I was recently using my Freebsd OS and found something very
>> interesting, Adobe doesn't make plugins for BSD license (strange)
>> machines at all. I am guessing haiku is going to run into the same
>> problem sooner or later. A workaround to the problem although may be
>> existent GNASH (GPL) and Swfdec (GPL),  both of them don't play movies
>> that very well (atleast on freebsd with the current latest packages).
>> These plugins (thanks to the brilliant effort of the authors who
>> reverse engineer) work decent enough.
>>
>> Any plans to port these ? If you want any help I could do it. I just
>> want some help on how to modify the configure files so that it
>> compiles for Haiku. (Any docs available on this ?).
>
> Michael Lotz has done some work on a completely native Flash player
> which I think would be much better than porting the massive beast
> Gnash.
>
> In addition if someone still wants to port Gnash it needs to be done
> properly, and that means writing some Haiku code to handle certain
> things instead just trying to compile all the Linux dependencies and
> producing a ridiculously huge monster application. That is just lazy
> and it is not the Haiku-way.

This is the list of ports needed for gnash. As mentioned on the
website: http://adek336.republika.pl/haiku-gnash/

    * boost  (atleast 15M)
    * ffmpeg
    * freetype
    * font-config
    * gperf
    * gettext
    * glib
    * libid3tag
    * libmad
    * giflib
    * jpeglib
    * libagg
    * libbzip2
    * libcurl
    * libltdl
    * liboil
    * libpng
    * libxml
    * pkg-config
    * sdl
    * zlib

There is another way, the one BSD has implemented, they have linux api
subsystem, and they directly use the existing flashplayer that is
available  for Linux. May be this could be an alternative. I think it
may require X.

>> Project 2:
>> Torrent client for Haiku. Using Librtorrent. (Very Important)
>
> Porting rtorrent has been on my list for a while, and I plan to write
> a download manager to go along with my browser project and that will
> include an rtorrent-based plugin.

Doesn't transmission use rtorrent ?