[haiku-development] Re: Some questions

  • From: Fredrik Modéen <fredrik@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 1 May 2008 08:12:10 +0200 (CEST)

> The PCI-gameport type drivers that are published use the generic joystick
> module, that I don't believe has been developed yet.   The generic module
> only supported the 15-pin type connectors.  It might not be too hard to
> develop, but it is legacy device.    I think USB joysticks are a bigger
> challenge.
There are a USB extension same as PCI-Gamport driver on bebits

The Gameport "driver". Don't know what to call it as it's not a plain
driver but uses extention also for getting the game device information.
This is how R5 gets USB games devices today and also SB-Live GamePort
devices.

The Gameport "driver" sends the information that a game devices are
generating to BJoystick and this part are not type (type as GamePort, USB)
dependent.

I do think that wee need the "driver" but with some modification, like not
publishing devices you don't have as it does today.

> As a side note on the Device Kit,  I always thought it might be fun to
> extend the GeekPort  API to parallel port functionality.    You could use
> some of the parallel port digital I/O to control outputs or read digital
> inputs.  Any thoughts ?
Hm will have a look on this as it might help me understand what needs to
be done :)

--
MVH
Fredrik Modéen