[haiku-development] Re: Solarized Terminal color scheme

  • From: "Adrien Destugues" <pulkomandy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 02 Sep 2015 14:56:32 +0000

2 septembre 2015 16:40 "Donn Cave" <donn@xxxxxxxxxxx> a écrit:

Quoth miqlas <miqlas@xxxxxxxxx>,

Guys, as you can see in my patch it contains just the background,
foreground, selection back and foreground color and so on. Maybe the
Terminal color scheme should support the colors for the ANSI control
sequences too. What do you think? So can we control everything, what
now impossible (? FIXME), and it would be the samein every supported
CLI app.

In principle that seems like an essential feature - terminal applications
use the ANSI colors liberally (maybe too liberally), so they're a key
part of the color scheme. I set up a MacOS X Terminal scheme yesterday
using the Solarized values; if Terminal hadn't supported user supplied
ANSI color values, it wouldn't have been worth bothering with.

That said, at a casual impression the Haiku values don't seem grossly
out of character. Maybe not correct, but tasteful.

They are correct. The ECMA-48 standard says
(http://www.ecma-international.org/publications/files/ECMA-ST/Ecma-048.pdf
section 8.3.117):

30 black display
31 red display
32 green display
33 yellow display
34 blue display
35 magenta display
36 cyan display
37 white display

The colors we use are not "pure", but close enough, and the standard doesn't
have any more details on which colors should be used exactly.

There are several things in the standard we don't implement at all, however
(gothic characters, alternate fonts, double width and double height characters,
italivs, blinking text (slow and fast), etc). But, "The usable combinations of
parameter values are determined by the implementation.", so we are allowed to
not implement everything.

--
Adrien.