[haiku-development] Re: Solarized Terminal color scheme

  • From: Alexander von Gluck IV <kallisti5@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 02 Sep 2015 09:45:19 -0500

On 2015-09-02 05:04, Dario Casalinuovo wrote:
Hi Adrien,

Here's one:
https://github.com/pulkomandy/fRiSS/blob/master/src/xmlnode.h [1]
https://github.com/pulkomandy/fRiSS/blob/master/src/xmlnode.cp [2]p

I've read your message the later week, but lately : p

Note that the usual way is simply saving things as archived
BMessages (in binary format), or, when manual editing is needed, to
use te driver_settings format and API (we have a wrapper to parse it
to a BMessage). I'm not sure XML is a good choice in either case:
when the user doesn't need to mess with the file, it is slower to
parse than archived BMessage.

I suppose nowadays this doesn't make so much difference, also because
of the lookahead nature of XML.

When the user needs to mess with the file, the XML syntax isn't the
most readable and easy to handle one.

There are other factors though, XML is very well know out there and
after all not so much difficult to be understood.

-1000

Every time I see someone use XML where they shouldn't I want to puke.
JSON is a *MUCH* simpler language with a *LOT* less formality.

I'm biased though, I had to go through the pain of WebSphere AS administration
at one point in my life. 16 line XML files for a single configuration
directive... eew.

Or, as Axel said, we can use our existing configuration format ;-)