[haiku-development] Re: Slow Alpha Installation

  • From: Izomiac <haikulist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2009 22:01:50 -0400

Well, I just tried the latest ISO, and installation speed has improved
significantly.  I was clocking it, but didn't get to record the time since
it took >4 minutes for the first thousand files, but when I returned in 20
minutes it'd finished all 16,837.  So, in an attempt to be more precise, I
re-initialized the volume and installed again.  It took 98 seconds.
Therefore, the DVD random read speed was by far the limiting factor.  OTOH,
it only took 2:50 to burn the disk (< 2 minutes actually writing data), and
took 1:20 to go from BIOS to (functional) installer prompt.  Ninety-eight
seconds is a far cry from what it'd be with an image based install (strange
that I didn't know Vista did that, I use vLite all the time), but I guess we
aren't trying to reach an instant install time.  I wouldn't dismiss the
idea, but at this point it seems like a needless increase in complexity.
That said, I think my second suggestion stands to cut installation times by
quite a bit more than my first.  To recap, that's: load the entire
filesystem into RAM, boot from RAM.  Roughly estimating, that would entail:
~2:00 to load the CD into RAM, ~5 seconds to boot, ~1:30 to install VS 1:20
to boot from CD, >15 minutes to install.

Someone else mentioned OpenBFS and SSD support...  For the ones that use
SATA there aren't any problems.  There could be some SSD-specific
performance improvements, but there are no compatibility issues.  I use a
Core V2 from OCZ, which is already EOL'd because it can get down to 4 IOs
per second with small random writes.

As for BFS resizing, I'm guessing initializing the volume on a 20+ GB
partition, then shrinking it to CD size would allow resizing back to <=
20GB.  Making a backwards incompatible OpenBFS doesn't seem like a very good
idea though.  Ext4 and likely others include every feature in the BFS, plus
a fair bit more, so it'd be mostly reinventing the wheel.  (I realize that
Haiku does quite a bit of that for various reasons, but I'm unconvinced that
making a new filesystem would be worth it.)