[haiku-development] Re: Slow Alpha Installation

  • From: "Michael Lotz" <mmlr@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 09 Sep 2009 23:21:50

> occurred to me.  First, do a sector-by-sector copy of the
> installation media
> to the front of the partition.  Next, expand the BFS volume to fill
> the
> partition.  Finally, do makebootable and whatever else that's needed
> to make
> it a valid and bootable partition.

It's called image based installation and is what current Windows
versions and other OSes do. Two problems with current Haiku (that can
be solved):

1) There is no resize support in BFS yet. This should be added in any
case, but has some problems of its own like needing to expand the bitmap
for example for which there might not be enough space at the place it
is located. Since we are pretty limited in extending BFS due to
compatibility to the old BFS this might need to wait for breakage of
compatibility though.

2) Our current installation CDs are actually using the ISO9660
filesystem (a bit relaxed). This can be changed to make hybrid images
that pack a BFS image (without the need for two tracks) to build images
that work as raw images and as CD images at the same time, like it is
done for a few Linux distros. I've built a proove of concept image
which works that way and it is not really problematic to build. I just
didn't have the time yet to add support for this to our build system.
Note that currently running a BFS image from a CD is slower than using
a ISO formatted one as far as I've tested it, so this might not be a
desireable solution afterall.

Regards
Michael