[haiku-development] Re: Set*UIColor Version 3b Patch

  • From: looncraz <looncraz@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2015 11:01:36 -0600

On 11/19/2015 10:02, Adrien Destugues wrote:

Another "big" project I work with is WebKit. They reject patches (automatically with a script doing the checks, which we should do as well), for example if you forgot the final dot at the end of a sentance in a comment.

Yeah, I've dealt with some fussy style checkers before. That's less annoying as it's coming from a script... until you get false positives and end up changing perfectly good code just to pass the test...

I'm more annoyed that a person had to waste their time on these minor style violations than anything (to be clear, I'm not upset with Axel).

I'm sure Axel is so trained to the guidelines that he can't read and understand
any code that doesn't follow them. So, this is what he sees first, before he
can dig into the functionality.

I don't think any of my issues were bad enough to harm comprehension.

We should improve our checkstyle scripts to detect more of the issues, so this
can be checked easily while you write the code, instead of when it is reviewed.
It would save time for everyone.

That's for sure. I made a simple checker that checks the actual patch, but I didn't even know that some of these things even were violations (guidelines say nothing about #pragma and comments in enums, for example), and it can't detect multiline conditionals.

Speaking of the guidelines, its very first example includes an indention style issue I copied thinking it was acceptable ;-)

Most of my styling choices come directly from Haiku code or examples, in fact ;-)

--The loon