[haiku-development] Re: Screen preflet, vesa

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 07 Mar 2008 14:53:39 +0100 CET

"Hma" <hma@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Apply buttons in general are really bad for usability. They just
> cause
> confusion and errors when user forgets to press them. Is there any
> reason to
> demand press of an extra button? When no restart is needed, chancing
> resolution or color (or Hz) could take effect immediately after any
> one of
> the settings is changed.
>  This would potentially mean showing "keep changes" dialog more than
> once,
> but I don't see why that would be bad in this case (screen preflet
> doesn't
> get used that often). It could even be good when user tries to find
> good
> settings.

I generally agree with you, but resolution changes are definitely
special, and require special treatment:
1) it doesn't make much sense to change only one of the settings at a
time.
2) some combinations might not make any sense for your setup.
3) changing any of the settings will cause your monitor to show a black
screen for 1 to 2 seconds

Any of these alone make the "Apply" button a necessity.

Bye,
   Axel.