[haiku-development] Re: Scheduler algorithm improvements

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 28 Nov 2009 14:27:03 +0100

André Braga <meianoite@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Em 28/11/2009, às 09:52, "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> escreveu:
> > IIRC it had been introduced to implement priority boost on a
> > semaphore
> > release - a concept that didn't work out well, and has been removed
> > completely in the mean time AFAICT.
> Hmm; any chance the reason was that it caused priority inversions?

Not really; our threads already have a meaningful priority - boosting
that one after a semaphore release just messed up this meaning. Threads
with higher priority should always be interactive threads, anyway.

> > So I guess we can probably remove it, but someone should have a
> > closer
> > look indeed ;-)
> I'd like it to be kept there :) But for a different purpose, of
> course. Probably base_priority, and then priority would semantically
> mean "current, actual priority".

Well, if you need it some day in the future, you could reintroduce it
in case it has been removed since.

Bye,
   Axel.