[haiku-development] Resurrecting the Jamfile-engine

  • From: "Ryan Leavengood" <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2008 17:09:28 -0400

Back in 2003 one of the first things I did for Haiku was learn more
about the Jam build tool and then write some newsletter articles about
it. These articles from the old web-site were combined into the
following article on our current site:

http://www.haiku-os.org/documents/dev/the_art_of_jamming_all_parts

While writing those articles I also wrote a Jamfile-engine as a
Jam-based replacement for the Be Makefile-engine. Later on the JamMin
GUI (http://dev.osdrawer.net/projects/jammin/,
http://www.bebits.com/app/3412) was written which also made use of my
Jamfile-engine.

I just got an email from Ralf Schülke asking if the Jamfile-engine
could be added to the developer tools. I think this is a good idea,
BUT I think it could use some improvement first. For one thing I
wonder how much of the stuff from the Haiku build system could be
ported over to be used in the Jamfile-engine, because at this point
Ingo knows much more about Jam than I did when I first wrote the
Jamfile-engine. Plus there were a few annoying bugs that I encountered
that last time I used the Jamfile-engine.

So I am writing this email for two reasons:

1) To see if other people think the Jamfile-engine or an updated
version should be added to the developer tools.

and

2) To see if Ingo or anyone else would like to help me update the
Jamfile-engine to use some of the newer better code from the Haiku
build tools.

Let me know,
Ryan