[haiku-development] Re: Resource files (and other questions)

  • From: Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 12 May 2009 08:57:28 +0200

Hi Pete,

On 2009-05-11 at 23:32:37 [+0200], pete.goodeve@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> How are people handling resource files in Haiku?
> I'm used to popping them open in FileTypes and updating things like
> version number, but this doesn't currently seem to work.  xres obviously
> is present and does its job, but it's not at all convenient for most
> little updates.

I just tried to open an "application" .rsrc file and while it does open in
FileTypes, you don't get the application resource window, but the regular
file window. It could be considered "correct", because it's indeed just a
file, not an application, only happes to be resources for an application,
but the BeOS behavior was of course more convenient. Maybe we could change
that...

However, what has become a lot more popular in Haiku is using the
text-based .rdef files. You can convert your .rsrc to .rdef (and back)
using rc, which is installed by default on Haiku. It will tell you how to
use it. I find editing .rdef files more flexible than editing .rsrc files
using FileTypes in BeOS. Also Icon-O-Matic and WonderBrush both have
special export support for .rdef files.

Best regards,
-Stephan