[haiku-development] Re: Res: GSoC: Adding 3D hardware acceleration support through Gallium3d

On 2010-03-21 at 12:37:42 [+0100], Zenja Solaja <solaja@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I've actually started porting the Nouveau Linux HW driver, going by the way
> of designing a linux compatibility layer for video drivers.
>
> At the moment, the following is done:
> - Entire Nouveau Linux driver compiles and links with no warnings (via
> compatibility layer)
> - Haiku version of mini-DRM (linked to Haiku kernel) compiles and links with
> no warnings.  By Mini-DRM is subset needed to compile Nouveau driver.
> - Haiku accelerant for the Nouveau driver is done (minimal 2D support for
> now, set/display mode etc)*
> - TTM (another memory manager for graphics card resources) is 20% ported -
> when this is done, then the whole stack should come alive.
> - GEM is implemented via TTM wrapper.
>
> The nasty thing about the video stack port I'm doing is that I cannot do an
> integration test until all the components are done.  I expect that
> everything should come together once the TTM port is done.
>
> Once all of the above is complete, then it should be trivial to wrap the
> Nouveau Gallium 3D driver to the Haiku accelerant calls (which calls the
> Nouveau driver via DRM - in our case, via the accelarant).
>
> Since I'm building a driver compatibility interface, I dont forsee any
> problems porting the RadeonHD driver as well.
>
> PS. I've actually been working on this for the last couple of weeks full
> time (with a couple of high priority interruptions, but thats normal I
> guess).

I'm glad you've published a summary of your work in a public forum, so this
effort becomes more widely known. What does this mean for a potential GSoC
project. Do you think such a projet would "get in the way"? Or would you on
the contrary see fruitful ways to collaborate and would you be willing to
mentor the project? Either you or Aljen would be the ideal mentor. If 3D
accelerated compositing in the app_server would come into play, I could
imagine I would be an ideal backup mentor for when the project takes shape
and the app_server changes are the next steps.

Best regards,
-Stephan