[haiku-development] Re: Reproducing system pauses.

  • From: Bruno Albuquerque <bga@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2009 13:58:06 -0300

Michael Weirauch wrote:
2009/7/28 Bruno Albuquerque <bga@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
I used "dd if=/dev/zero of=zero.img bs=1024k count=4096"

Hm, this one gets my system to freeze:

http://www.m-phasis.de/tmp/haiku/haiku-r31847-gcc4-ata-acpi-dd-freeze.jpg

Yes, this is exactly what I get. that continuous line in ActivityMonitor is a result of the fact that it seems to not get any sampling during this period and then just draws a single line between the last sampling point and the first new one it gets,

When I was doing my dd tests with smaller but several 100 to 200MB
images earlier,
I could actually see the block cache being cleaned up a bit and filled again.
It definitively got further up in ram usage and did not freeze ;)

Yes. The problem seems to be triggered when all the memory is used. The same happens when compiling Haiku, for example, although in this case there is lot less data in the cache because of all the memory needed by jam and the subprocesses it starts.

-Bruno