[haiku-development] Re: Remembering window positions

  • From: pulkomandy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2013 20:09:47 +0100

> For the rest of the windows in the system should I go through each
> one-by-one and solve the problem this way, or is there a better way
> that we could handle this in a common place like app_server?
>
> If I do one by one this way I'll create a bunch of settings files in
> home/config just for storing window positions... this seems less than
> elegant to me. I'm hoping for a more thoughtful solution to this
> problem.

The way Tracker does it is storing the information as an attribute to the
folder the window is showing. I think it makes sense to do the same for all
"document" windows (StyledEdit and Pe store the attribute to text files)
and some other cases (Terminal tries to do something but it doesn't work
very well). For settings windows, I'm unsure this is a required feature.
Can't we just make the default position of the window be the right one ?

For example, I think the deskbar prefs should always pop up close to the
deskbar. An application settings window could be centered against its
parent document window or something like that. Not sure what to do with the
remaining preference apps, maybe having them centered is just fine.

--
Adrien.