[haiku-development] Re: Remembering window positions

  • From: Axel Dörfler <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2013 20:06:26 +0100

On 03/23/2013 11:13 AM, pulkomandy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
That might work as a sensible default, but, if I move the window the
system should remember where I put it.
I don't think that's very useful for preferences windows like the deskbar
one. It's a window I open only once the first time I install Haiku, and then
forget about. When I open it again, I'll likely have forgotten where I had
moved it the previous time. So, there's not much use in remembering the
position.

I think we can create a compromise we can all live with: it can be beneficial to remember the position of preference windows as long as you are in the same session, but it doesn't make much sense to remember it between reboots.

The only volatile memory implementation we have that I can think of right now is /tmp. I'm not sure if Haiku already cleans /tmp on startup, though.

Bye,
   Axel.