[haiku-development] Re: Reloading BFS module

  • From: Rene Gollent <anevilyak@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 21 May 2012 08:34:15 -0400

On Mon, May 21, 2012 at 8:27 AM, Andreas Henriksson
<sausageboy@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I'm wondering if it's possible to reload the BFS driver code while the
> system is running? Rebooting can't be the best solution, can it?

Drivers in Haiku are reference counted, and are consequently
implicitly unloaded when the last open file handles to their published
device node(s) are closed. However, in the case of BFS, since that one
is always in use due to handling the boot volume, that will never
happen. There currently isn't a way that I know of to reload it on the
fly otherwise.

Regards,

Rene