[haiku-development] Re: Raspberry Pi 2

  • From: Ithamar Adema <ithamar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2015 16:19:44 +0100

Hi Gabriele,

On Fri, Feb 13, 2015 at 4:06 PM, Gabriele Biffi <mlist@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> So, here we are. The cute little computer has grown up. Now it sports a
> quad core ARMv7 at 900 MHz and 1 GB of RAM. My one is already up and
> running and let me say I'm suddenly much less interested in having Haiku
> running on the old one :-)
> The new puppy is happily useable as a desktop machine, and I believe Haiku
> would be a perfect match.
> It appears to be perfectly compatible - the old OS images just seems to
> work - but this means they're not using the features of the new
> architecture (whichever they are).
> Are we going to give the baby another chanche or not???

"Use the source, luke!" :P

Sorry, couldn't resist. I have done some work on the ARM port over the
years, but RL just doesn't leave me much time at the moment. It should not
be too hard to get the kernel ARM port running on the rPi2, if the old boot
procedure still works. Just needs someone to step up and do it ;)

The kernel has no support for rPi yet, but that should be fairly easy to
add, since the last thing I did was add "abstraction" to the kernel for
supporting different ARM-based CPUs (SoCs).

Hope that answers your question....

Ithamar.