[haiku-development] Re: Radeon HD driver feedback

>Subject: [haiku-development] Re: Radeon HD driver feedback
>From: Isak Andersson <IcePapih@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>Date: Fri, 04 May 2012 10:32:28 +0200
>

>>Is the resolution to high or too low? Is the image streched in any
>way?
>
>Only on the splash screen. Otherwise it looks pretty good (besides the
>hideous flickering)
>
>Screenshot: http://yfrog.com/gzblmwxj
>
>>Rene Gollent <anevilyak@xxxxxxxxx>
>
>>Just for reference, the fact that the boot splash isn't at the correct
>>resolution isn't really relevant ; no driver is in use at that point,
>>this simply implies that either a) the correct resolution wasn't
>>retrievable via EDID, or if it was, b) the card's VESA BIOS doesn't
>>actually support that resolution. Either way, it doesn't have any
>>bearing on the actual radeon driver later, unless the latter likewise
>>has issues acquiring correct EDID data.
>>
>>Regards,
>>
>>Rene
>
>Yes that does make sense, thank you for correction :)
>
>Cheers!
>
>Isak Andersson
>

>------------------------------
>
>Subject: [haiku-development] Re: Radeon HD driver feedback
>Date: Fri, 04 May 2012 09:33:31 -0500
>From: Alexander von Gluck <kallisti5@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>
>On 04.05.2012 03:32, Isak Andersson wrote:
>>>Is the resolution to high or too low? Is the image streched in any
>way?
>>
>> Only on the splash screen. Otherwise it looks pretty good (besides
>the
>> hideous flickering)
>>
>> Screenshot: http://yfrog.com/gzblmwxj
>>
>>>Rene Gollent <anevilyak@xxxxxxxxx>
>>
>>>Just for reference, the fact that the boot splash isn't at the
>correct
>>>resolution isn't really relevant ; no driver is in use at that point,
>>>this simply implies that either a) the correct resolution wasn't
>>>retrievable via EDID, or if it was, b) the card's VESA BIOS doesn't
>>>actually support that resolution. Either way, it doesn't have any
>>>bearing on the actual radeon driver later, unless the latter likewise
>>>has issues acquiring correct EDID data.
>
>The radeon_hd driver currently uses the VESA edid information in
>places,
>this mostly is because of the lack of Haiku multi-monitor support
>(radeon_hd
>can however pull edid from each display) I can try always using the
>first
>display's edid data... however it seemed kind of hackish at the time.
>(although no-more-so then using VESA edid I guess)
>
>It looks as though the VGA bios on the non-working machine is pretty
>whacky
>(as the Haiku splash doesn't even find a valid mode)
>
>  -- Alex

Yeah I have a feeling that the BIOS could benefit from an update, but even if
Lenovo has published an update it wouldn't be easy to apply without Windows.

The machine has one of those lame 1650x1050 resolutions that definitely aren't
supported by VESA. But if Haiku doesn't find the drivers needed doesn't it
automatically fall back to a VESA driver (with stretched resolution in this
case)? So it probably does recognize something. The resolution it does use
seems to be correct. So I'm not sure where the odd flickering stuff comes from.

Although I remember on the working machine the resolution was even correct on
the splashscreen when the driver was introduced, which it wasn't in A3.

Cheers!

Isak Andersson