[haiku-development] Re: RFC: @haiku-os.org email address policy

  • From: Rene Gollent <anevilyak@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 6 Jan 2010 18:23:38 -0600

On Wed, Jan 6, 2010 at 6:14 PM, Niels Reedijk <niels.reedijk@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I disagree with that. As I feel these email aliases are given out to
> give contributors a trustworthy and official appearance for contacts
> with third parties (and explicitly not as a 'gift' to good
> contributors). I find that using real names looks more professional
> than nicknames. But hey, perhaps the ones that will be handed the
> email addresses will not care about professionalism. I don't have
> enough experience to judge on that.

The counterpoint to that is that outsiders are most likely familiar
with e.g. the core developers via svn commits, in which case using the
same name as that used as svn username would make it more clear who
you're communicating with. Since email generally includes a separate
real name header anyways it seems somewhat redundant to force that
requirement on the username as well.

Regards,

Rene