[haiku-development] Re: RFC: SPDX License list

  • From: François Revol <revol@xxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 08 Aug 2014 14:50:19 +0200

On 08/08/2014 09:36, pulkomandy wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Today I discovered the SPDX license list: http://spdx.org/licenses/
>
> This is a list of "well known" free software licenses. They attributed
> an unique identifier to each license so it's clear which is which. This
> avoids the confusion of the various variations on the BSD and MIT/X11
> licenses. for example.

Well it's not that much different than the names we currently use, just
maybe more canonical than our own.

But we already have the "BSD (N-clause)" cases.

> I'm wondering if we should switch to this for our data/licenses folder.
> Our current naming scheme there is quite arbitrary, and using a common
> one like this sounds like a good idea. All the licenses in the SPDX list
> could be added to a package, and other packages could rely on it to
> provide license texts.

Possibly.
We should probably use it for newer licenses at least.
For ex, I was wondering about "CC BY-SA 3.0", "CC-BY-SA-3.0" or "CC
by-sa 3.0" the other day...

François.