[haiku-development] Re: RFC: Idea for redefining our participation in Google Summer of Code

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2010 11:13:41 +0100

PulkoMandy <pulkomandy@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
[...]
> > proposal. One idea to be explored is a dynamic project proposal
> > along
> > the lines of "Fix as many bugs/issues/open tickets as possible". To
[...]
> I don't think the "fix as many bug as possible" project is a great
> idea :
[...]

Agreed completely.

> I'm all for it on this side. Now that we have a dedicated svn server,
> it
> may be interesting to have the student get immediate commit access to
> "gsoc" branch where code review could occur before merging to the
> trunk.
> This is currently done through a special mailing list with only
> student
> and mentors inside, which is quite a way to set students apart from
> the
> community. It's made to make the code review go faster, but I don't
> think
> it helps integrating people.

It's not done to make the review process faster, it's done to give the
students a less embarassing forum where they can ask questions without
everyone reading them.
It's there to let them not use private mail with their mentor -- which
is even less integrated, and removes the chances of other mentors to
have a look.

A student may choose to publish his patches on haiku-development, if he
wants to.

> Also, due to the big changes ICU and localization involved, I was
> working
> in an svn branch for the whole SoC last year. While it is the usual
> way of
> doing things in Haiku (branching if the project involves breaking a
> lot of
> things), it may not be a really good idea for GSoC. The code gets
> less
> exposure, and basically I worked alone on it, besides peer review on
> commits.

That's the price to pay when making big changes, I'm afraid. And yes,
for a GSoC project it might not be ideal.

> There was no testing and a lack of integration in the other parts
> of the system. I'm now still the only person to ask when there is a
> localisation question.

That's mostly because we're a small community, and are happy if someone
else can take care of an entire component of Haiku ;-)
It's very much appreciated that you still find yourself responsible for
the locale kit!

Bye,
   Axel.