[haiku-development] Re: R1alpha 2 : time to get the ball rolling ?

On Sat, 27 Feb 2010 01:06:10 +0100, Colin Günther <coling@xxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Ingo Weinhold schrieb:
> >
> >>   * Unencrypted Wifi support (mostly done already, mmadia submitted some
> >> patches that should be commited to load firmwares and enable drivers by
> >> default
> >>

> > How useful is unencrypted Wifi support? Sure you can access public WLANs,
> > but since you wouldn't set up your home WLAN without encryption, this is
> > how
> > far it goes. Maybe Colin can add some insight how things look on the
> > encryption front and whether we should include that, too.
> >

> here is how things are looking from my perspective:
>
> Encryption requires a lot of work: DraX managed to get WEP working
> rather easy, but someone who doesn't like the Open Wlan idea, doesn't
> like WEP either, I suppose. And even with WEP you would need a proper
> configuration mechanism first, as you don't wanne let the end-user
> manually select the correct WLAN and the preshared key every time Haiku
> was booted.

http://alexbl.net/~alexbl/setwep.c if anyone wants the tool to set a wep
key. It's really just a matter of using the ioctl's that the freebsd
wifi stack already provides to set the password.

> Porting wpa_supplicant, would be the quickest way to get WPA/WPA2
> support working, presumably as an extension to the net_serv er, just
> like dhcp is. But if no one suprisingly pops up to take over the
> encryption task (there is even a bounty on haikuware :), I would need
> till the end of the year, especially as I was successful in shifting the
> deadline for my master thesis to the end of april.

I actually have wpa_supplicant compiled, except the necessary
drivers. It compiles pretty much without modification. The missing
 feature on the wifi stack end to be able to write a working
wpa_supplicant  driver for haiku is some way to get notifications
from the wifi stack (associated, disassociated mainly). In FreeBSD the
routing socket is used, but in haiku it makes more sense to use
net_notifications. I actually tried to add this support myself, but it
was not obvious to me how to get a reference to the correct type of
object needed to send the notifications from within the haiku glue to
the freebsd wifi stack.

alex