[haiku-development] Re: R1alpha 2 : time to get the ball rolling ?

  • From: Urias McCullough <umccullough@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2010 11:56:35 -0800

On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 11:13 AM, Rene Gollent <anevilyak@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> How useful is unencrypted Wifi support? Sure you can access public WLANs,
>> but since you wouldn't set up your home WLAN without encryption, this is how
>> far it goes. Maybe Colin can add some insight how things look on the
>> encryption front and whether we should include that, too.
>
> I'm with Matt on this one...unencrypted may not be ideal but it's by
> far better than no wifi at all.

I agreed with most of Ingo's points as well, except for this one. I
too believe unencrypted wifi would be a valuable addition to the next
major public release.

In order to test Colin's work, I removed encryption from my home
routers and successfully used Haiku in this configuration for several
days. I could have limited outside usage of my network somewhat via
MAC filtering (at least, until someone spoofed my MAC), and obviously
I was still susceptible to sniffing of my traffic during this time.
This may be minimally useful for the majority of users, and I happen
to live in an extremely rural area where I pretty much know all my
neighbors within wifi range.

However:

Public unencrypted wifi availability would be a great feature to
demonstrate at conferences and get-togethers. Several of the
gatherings I've attended provide unencrypted access. This is a very
useful environment for Haiku to gain interest amongst technical
people, and I think having the feature is more valuable than not.

Furthermore, it provides lower barrier for testing the stack and
drivers - allowing more issues to be worked out sooner.

I think the clincher for me would be having a UI-based tool for
selection of the SSID to connect to - this would be an extremely
welcome option for the next alpha.

- Urias