[haiku-development] Re: R1a4 -- possible?

On February 14, 2012 at 11:40 AM Clemens <clemens.zeidler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> >> IIRC, IMAP needs to be fixed, as the current code could lead to
> >> server-side data loss.
> Prove me wrong but the problem is more that for some servers you can't
> delete anything on the server because EXPUNGE is not called. The user
> should be save from data loss.

mmlr experienced data loss with it: it obviously managed to mix up the
indices of messages to remove after some other client deleted mails on the
server.

> Furthermore, mail_daemon had some thread problems and crashed quite
often.

According to mmlr it still does, just now reliable, when you are using SSL
for more than one account; I haven't checked or looked into that yet,
though.

> There is not a more stable earlier version.

It certainly is. The mail daemon worked mostly fine for me for years before
your changes. Now it hangs with POP3 (as it forgets to close open
connections), and doesn't work at all with IMAP. Not taking into account
that it just threw away my earlier account settings because you were being
lazy.

> I don't really understand the IMAP fuss its certainly not working
perfectly but at least for my 4

> mailboxes (>20000 mails) it works fine during my daily work.

Which obviously is bad luck for almost everyone else.

Bye,
   Axel.