[haiku-development] Re: R1a4 -- possible?

  • From: fano il primo <fanoilprimo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2012 23:39:36 +0100

On 2/16/12, Adrien Destugues <pulkomandy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Le 16/02/2012 10:35, Sean Healy a écrit :
>> On 2/16/2012 9:42 AM, fanoIlprimo@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
>>
>>> I can understand A3 is now old and a lot of bug/enhancement are in
>>> nightly... but why it's not a development platform anymore?
>>
>> Speaking as a contributor and not a developer:
> For application development you're safe if you stay with the official
> APIs (that is, leaving out layout kit, locale kit, gcc4, webkit, and so
> on). If you use any of these, then your application may not workon newer
> release,either for binary compatibility problems or even source
> incompatibilities.

OK, WebKit and so on are experimental API, so right they're in heavely
development, so they could become incompatible / not work in a
nightly...

But if I use Application Kit, for example, I'm safe.

> That's why we want these API to be more stable before
> we release R1: from then on they will be official and we willnot be able
> to change them until R2.

OK so after R1 the API will become stable... but I suppose from R1 to
R2 it do pass years, right?

So there's a sort of interregnum you should expect R1.1, R1.2 and so on?
Maybe ONLY not to add functionality (or NOT critical ones at least)
but to solve critical security bugs, right? R1 development cannot stop
for years, right?

> If you want to build Haiku itself, then you're likely to get various
> problems because of changes in the compiler, the OS itself, and the way
> the build system works with them.

Well I've not though of the compiler as gcc works if you'se
"extensions" (that are EVIL!) an old version cannot compile code
written with new compiler in mind... if you do not use the evils...
well I don't understand why it cannot compile...

Obvouisly the "Haiku" should NOTdepend  in the "live" OS to be
compiled... Application Kit DOES not depend on Appliccation Kit,
right? If it's I'm really confused...

> When Haiku will be stable, the problem will stay the same : you're safe
> to develop apps for R1 on R1, and you may try to develop apps for R2 on
> any r2ax image, knowing that the next one may change something. But
> that's fine, as most people should be using R1 anyway. The alphas are
> for Haiku developers and testing only. When we go beta/release
> candidate, the API will stop moving. Developping an app on a beta
> version shouldbe ok to get it ready in time for the next stable release.

OK so in this "we" would be differents (is this English? Unsure...)
from Linux... Haiku continues to works in the "interregnum" a new
Release of the R1 family cannot broke kernel/API and so on...

SO, to do an example, a driver realised for R1 it SHALL work in an
hypotetical R1.4, right? Without compiling it, right? If you've to
compile it's not fair :-)

>> I would imagine that that is the goal of the developers - in fact, a
>> lot of suggested changes have already been put in the R2 category, so
>> that there is a more or less stable target for R1. Once this target
>> has been reached and gone through the beta process, R1 will be
>> released, and after that there will (I hope) be only minor bugfix
>> releases.

OK, this seems correct to me... so after R1, it could be R1.1, R1.2
and so on... ONLY for critical bugs... enanchements go all in R2...

> after R1 is released, it wilbe too late for bug fixes. You'll have to
> live with the bugs while Haiku devs work on R2.
> The solution is to put a long enough beta stage to spot most of the bugs
> and find solutions to them.
>
> --
> Adrien.

I suppose critical security bug could be solved avoiding to broke
API/ABI doing this: it should be possible, I suppose...

We cannot wait years with an R1 with CRITICL SECURITY ISSUES, right?
After R1 I want to use Haiku for "production" enviroment it shall not
have security bugs...

     fano