[haiku-development] Re: R1/a4 initial planning

On Tue, Feb 28, 2012 at 3:44 AM, SMC.Collins <smc.collins@xxxxxxxxxxx>wrote:

> I try to stay out of these conversations since I have not actually
> contributed any code to Haiku, and I have never used QT in any of my
> projects (because I don't like it).
> I don't like QT because its humongous and ugly and slow. When I worked at
> Worldgate Communications, our product used QT for all its graphics (aside
> from the actual video streams), and it sucked, our GUI was so slow that it
> was almost unusable, because it was running on QT. I just don't like QT. I
> take issue with most graphical systems actually, among the good ones are
> the Linux framebuffer, SDL, Haiku's GUI.
>

> Most of the reason I am interested in Haiku is its graphical system, just
> because it isn't X, and doesn't rely on GTK or QT or any crap like that. If
> Haiku used QT, it would lose much of its appeal to me. Not all appeal, but
> a lot of it.
>

> QT is a giant, but not one that you can use to stand on its shoulders and
> reach higher, just a fat ugly one that takes up too much space.
>
> --PHil
>

>   I have been using QT applications on Haiku for some time now, even the
> qupzilla browser. Slow ? I haven't noticed any perceptible change in
> responsiveness between the native guis and the qt gui. In fact qupzilla
> completely blows webpositive out of the water in terms of performance.Most
> of this is due to feature completeness, but I use it becuase its more
> capable. It's just a bit crashy. the whole QT intall is 25mb, thats not
> very "fat" as it were imho.
>
> ????
>

> Sean

Like I said, I have never used it on a desktop machine, only on an embedded
device, so I could be wrong about its speed on desktop machines.
However, 25 mb is huge, saying that that is no "fat" is quite a silly
statement, I don't even think GTK is that big, and GTK is also huge.