[haiku-development] Re: R1/a4 initial planning

  • From: PHilip RUshik <prushik@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2012 18:35:46 +0900

On Mon, Feb 27, 2012 at 5:54 PM, kirilla@xxxxxxxxxx <jonas@xxxxxxxxxxx>wrote:

> 26 feb 2012 kl. 20:37 skrev Ryan Leavengood:
>
> > On Sun, Feb 26, 2012 at 2:14 PM, Gabriel Harrison <nyteshade@xxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
> >> Just to play the devil's advocate Ingo, I didn't see anybody come up
> with a solid enough argument
> >> for, either. It's clear you really want that path but it's also clear
> many others don't.
> >
> > I will say that this discussion has at least peaked my interest in Qt
> > and especially Qt Quick (as mentioned somewhere on these threads) and
> > I do intend to try to use Qt on a real project to better evaluate it.
>
> I haven't used Qt myself, but it seems like it could be one of those
> proverbial
> giant shoulders for Haiku to stand on. (We're standing on some already.)
>
> One could argue that a Linux kernel and graphics stack would complete the
> transition - it would delay R1 immensely but possibly fast forward R3 - but
> that's not a place most Haiku folks would want to go. Succumbing to Linux
> to keep up with Linux...
>
> What makes Haiku Haiku?
> What makes Haiku relevant?
>
> Which matters most?
>
> /Jonas

I try to stay out of these conversations since I have not actually
contributed any code to Haiku, and I have never used QT in any of my
projects (because I don't like it).
I don't like QT because its humongous and ugly and slow. When I worked at
Worldgate Communications, our product used QT for all its graphics (aside
from the actual video streams), and it sucked, our GUI was so slow that it
was almost unusable, because it was running on QT. I just don't like QT. I
take issue with most graphical systems actually, among the good ones are
the Linux framebuffer, SDL, Haiku's GUI.
Most of the reason I am interested in Haiku is its graphical system, just
because it isn't X, and doesn't rely on GTK or QT or any crap like that. If
Haiku used QT, it would lose much of its appeal to me. Not all appeal, but
a lot of it.
QT is a giant, but not one that you can use to stand on its shoulders and
reach higher, just a fat ugly one that takes up too much space.

--PHil