[haiku-development] Re: R1/a4 initial planning

  • From: Julian Harnath <julian.harnath@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2012 21:53:27 +0100

Stephan Aßmus <superstippi@xxxxxx> schrieb:
> I think the examples all work only in theory. In practice,
> applications
> target specific behavior and bugs.

Well, ideally, applications should not target implementation details
and stick to the interfaces, otherwise they might just stop working in
the next OS release because some internal implementation was changed...
I know how reality can differ from how things should be though... :)

> * WonderBrush uses a custom control for sliders.

That would be bad luck for such an interfacekit idea :D
It *could* still work if Wonderbrush's sliders at least inherit from
BSlider. However, things get a little more complicated then...

And yes, I understand that the MIDI idea could be implemented neatly
via scripting or input-server functionality.

> * How would you even configure what MIDI channels map to which slider
> without application support?

Since the slider control would be overriden with a different one, the
"MIDI-aware slider" could simply have a small button next to the slider
to open e.g. a config popup menu. Or some hotkey to open it (e.g.
alt+rightlick), or a context menu, etc.

> I haven't looked at the implementation in GIMP, but isn't there some
> kind of configuration interface for this?

Yep.

> Where would that go? How could it be moved from the aplication to a
> generic place?

See above.

Greetings,
Julian