[haiku-development] Re: R1/a4 initial planning

  • From: "Ingo Weinhold" <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2012 04:46:29 +0100

Axel Dörfler wrote:
> On 01.03.2012 15:07, Ingo Weinhold wrote:
> > Regarding BApplication, BWindow, and BView being archivable, I find that
> > rather useless (we had this topic in an earlier thread about session
> > management). I believe so far I have used BArchivable only for own
> > (model/data) classes.
>
> You are obviously forgetting about replicants here;

No, I just consider replicants another interface kit design failure (and I
never wrote one). In practice they are only used for keeping stuff on the
desktop (no, BeHappy just demonstrates how to work around the lack of a
standard HTML view). LaunchBox behaves similarly (with the advantage of being
raisable) and isn't a replicant, so what's the point?

Regarding Deskbar replicants, a simple add-on interface would have worked just
as well. It would have made creating an application needed only to install the
replicant in certain cases (e.g. ProcessController) superfluous. And instead of
storing/restoring the view hierarchy (which potentially breaks with the next
version of the replicant) the add-on could have stored/restored its actual
configuration data.

CU, Ingo