[haiku-development] Re: R1/a4 initial planning

  • From: Stephan Aßmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2012 18:36:13 +0100

Hi,

Am 28.02.2012 16:54, schrieb PHilip RUshik:
Its true that shared libraries are stored and loaded once, but that 25mb
of code still need to be processed by the processor for it to do
anything, and that isn't just going to happen once. Shared libraries
help with hard disk space and memory usage, but not speed, which is my
main concern, in which case 25 mb is quite heavy, that is how you should
look at it IMHO.

Well, on one hand there is your personal experience of Qt appearing to be slow in that project you encountered it in. I can't really say anything about that, as there are so many possible reasons for your experience. The reasoning that you do provide, I don't follow. 25 MiB is really not much for such a broad framework such as Qt. I find it tiny, actually. And I am pretty sure, that any given Qt application only uses a fraction of the whole framework.

Anecdotal, but somewhat related: Early Haiku versions didn't even load pages of code from disk into memory that were not yet used. This resulted in a perceptable delay when you used a feature of some software for the first time during its runtime. We changed that later so that Haiku just maps all program code and libraries all at once and it resulted both in quicker application start up time and removed the delay on first use.

I am just trying to point out how complex the factors may be that contribute to this subject behind the scenes. A statement like 25 MiB is much and must surely be processed which makes things slow... that's really much too simple and doesn't convince me at all. Now, Qt may still be slow, but if it is, then for other reasons.

Best regards,
-Stephan