[haiku-development] Re: R1A3: Image types to release?

  • From: Arnold <arnoldvanh@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 30 May 2011 21:52:38 +0200

2011/5/30 Adrien Destugues <pulkomandy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

>> Curently anyboot does not works (except for some few PC).
>> IMHO : burning-applications are not guilty. however the MBR-code is.
>>
>> A fix exists
>> http://dev.haiku-os.org/ticket/3441#comment:21
>>  but it needs to be commited...
>>
>> Regards
>>
> I like when things are simple. A single image for everyone would be the
> simplest solution. I think Anyboot does just that and replaces both raw and
> iso images.
>
> As mentionned above, there are two problems :
>  * The image is too big : I think this was fixed by stripping optional
> packages debug infos, newer builds from today should be better ?
>  * The MBR problem in some cases. My computer seems to work fine (I'll test
> again to make sure). We're looking for more reports on the new MBR code by
> starsseed, I'd really like to get it at least as an option in alpha3. Can
> anyone else comment on results with it ? Not that I don't thrust starsseed,
> but I'd like some external advice :)
>
> --
> Adrien.

Hi, I just made an USB stick with R1A2 on it and tried this at work.
The PC (a HP thingy so pretty common I guess) I use there now boots
HAIKU like a charm. The image could have been a little bigger, there
is now over 3GB unused space on my USB-stick ;-) (Though writing the
image to de stick took longer than my patience). I am reluctant to try
anything like using the network let alone internet and I get bored by
spinning teapots quickly these days. Would be nice to be able to plug
in an extra stick with additional programs and just diskspace to mess
around with.

Regards,

Arnold