[haiku-development] Re: R1 blocker - dial up internet?

  • From: "Clemens Zeidler" <clemens.zeidler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2010 17:54:20 +1300

Don't we need a lot of modem drivers for that? So also if dial up is really still used by a none negligible number I would not declare it as a blocker. I would more like to reduce the blocker list then to increase it.

Regards,
        Clemens

ps. every day we have to maintain two compiler / binary compatibility cost Haiku resources. As earlier we release R1 as more resources we have for other stuff...

Am 24.11.2010, 16:56 Uhr, schrieb Karl vom Dorff <karlvd@xxxxxxxxx>:

BeOS, as far as I'm aware, had some modem dial-up capability. Haiku's
dial-up capability?

This to me, would seem to be a blocker.

I'm looking at some statistics (although I don't know how reliable)

http://blog.wasiqansari.com/index.php/2010/02/35-of-us-internet-still-on-dialup/

If the amount of U.S users still on dial-up = around 1/3 of the population (~100 million users), it begs the question, how many rely on dial-up in Asia
and Africa?

I recently made a comment about this at Haikuware
here<http://haikuware.com/bounty-discussion/1684-campaign-for-pppoe-support21#1685>,
and almost immediately saw some commits from phoudoin (great thanks!).

Does any one else see this as a potential priority? Myself, I haven't been on dial-up for a decade. The absence of a way to get on the internet on an
operating system though, would be an automatic big fat X/NO. An operating
system without an internet connection is useless - to me.

If the above usage statistics are true though (as of the third quarter,
2009) then I think this may be a priority for Haiku. It's good to see it's
being worked on though:

Commit by phoudoin :: r39587
/haiku/trunk/src/add-ons/kernel/network/devices/ dialup/dialup.cpp:
Initial send_data() support.

Commit by phoudoin :: r39582
/haiku/trunk/src/add-ons/kernel/network/devices/ dialup/dialup.cpp:
Add initial up & down support.

Commit by phoudoin :: r39581 /haiku/trunk/ (13 files in 11 dirs):
Switch link speed unit to bit/s to support low bitrate speed too
(hello slow dialup line...)

Commit by phoudoin :: r39580
/haiku/trunk/src/add-ons/kernel/network/devices/ dialup/dialup.cpp:
Store AT* strings and termios config directly within dialup_device struct.

*Commit by phoudoin :: r39576
/haiku/trunk/src/add-ons/kernel/network/devices/ (4 files in 2 dirs):
Add skeleton/WIP dialup network device...*