[haiku-development] Re: R1 blocker - dial up internet?

Le 24 nov. 2010 à 07:09, Siarzhuk Zharski a écrit :
> It depends. There are "hardware" modems that need only working RS232 port
> driver on the OS side. There are "winmodems" that have most of it's
> communication functionality implemented in the OS driver (mostly proprietary
> and closed sources). As far as I heard modern 3G modems are also used as
> quasi dialup devices. They need also some support from the OS side.

Yes, most are, and most are actually plain modems with AT commands.
The only problem being which command to send them so they work.
For example, last year I spent a day sniffing the driver in windows of a 3G usb
key so I could know which AT command and login/password it was sending to the
key to be accepted by the network. This thing was sold as a corporate specific
rating, with a specific login, and of course only windows software and no doc.
(Orange crap if you ask).

Also, in some countries ADSL is still accessed using crap like PPPoE...

>> So also if dial up is really still used by a none negligible number I would
>> not declare it as a blocker. I would more like to reduce the blocker list
>> then to increase it.
>
> Yes, real RS232 communication ports are mostly go away from the modern PCs
> but lot of USB-to-RS232 adapters are here. Haiku already has usb_serial
> driver for FTDI, pl2303 and cp2101 adapter types but it waits for solving the
> "TTY Module Question". Many tasks in embedded development and hardware
> support are still require communicating with harwdare by RS232.  So RS232
> support is not a just "legacy wish" but requirement, IMO.

I'd go for a device-manager based system, handling ttys on a "bus" like we have
for pci, ide and so on.

We'd need to change the pc_serial and usb_serial drivers but it shouldn't be
too hard, and they are quite similar.
Ideally the usb stack would also use device_manager but that's not a
requirement.
I'd still need the BeOS-compatible pc_serial driver around for Dane, but the r5
kernel interface can be maintained separately anyway.

François.